The Shaker Tavern, built in 1869 as a business venture for the South Union Shakers, housed a hotel for people of the world. The Shakers leased the building to an outside interest for one hundred dollars a month, leaving its management to the world.
The Shaker Tavern maintained a thriving business for more than forty years, catering to the Victorian railroad travelers who stopped at South Union. The buildings architectural features were clearing incorporated to attract the worlds people, whose tastes differed dramatically from that of the Shakers. The stark simplicity of the buildings used by the Shakers contrasts greatly with the grand columned facade, intricate brickwork, and the ornate staircase of the Shaker Tavern.